Translate

Monday 19 December 2016

Whatsapp, Facebook, Dopamine and Addiction



Off late there has been a disturbing change in my household. I find it almost impossible to keep my home clean to the standards I have myself set for my house. I thought I was probably a little stressed about the many things that are going on in my life, but when has life been without its occurrences? I wondered what has gone wrong with my housekeeping skills! Unnecessary things lie around in house, without being removed for days. Dumped items to be cleaned later, with no sign of 'later' at sight. I was really concerned about this change in me and I wondered how I was going to get myself back in order. 

And then I discovered the reason. Eureka! Unimaginable but true, the answer lay in what we consider our lifeline and a revolutionary means of instant communication! Yes, I am referring to Whatsapp and its older brother Facebook. Both siblings have a way of binding you to their allure and charm for hours, filling in the time you would otherwise use for productivity, creativity and mundane activity. Oh well later!

My daughter began calling me 'Whatsapp Mamma' and my husband at times would get mercurial with my Whatsapp-centric-attention to him. But I was just not getting it! I was not getting it because, I have built a network of strong friendships and relationships owing specifically to Whatsappp. Facebook has not bothered me much, I don’t share a lot on FB. But Whatsapp just swept me off my feet. I would Whatsapp with multiple groups all the time. Some even professional groups. Some of these friends, whom I had not met in two decades, are my support system now. Some of my professional contacts have helped me immensely, merely because we are in touch, all thanks to Whatsapp. 

So I had a justification to immerse more and more into the Whatsapp world. I began developing attention deficit. My mind would always be divided. And therefore I began avoiding tasks. All sorts of tasks by the way: legal work, bank work, doctor’s visit, cooking something new, reading the book I bought last week, month or even year, cleaning the house, all of it! I was just putting them off, till they became a chronic problem! Owing to the objection from my daughter and husband, I curtailed too much use of Whatsapp in their presence. But all my 'me time' was still being absorbed with Whatsapp.

I never had time to catch up with pending work. I ignored things lying around in the house because, there was a world inside my phone that drew me into it, where physical world did not matter. If I had been breaking bit by bit into bytes, as I focussed on the phone all day long, by today, I would be just a few gigabytes, tucked away somewhere in the cyberspace, all my other possibilities dissolved in this self-effacing and self-glorifying activity all at once.

Self-effacing because, I preferred to be immersed in just a devise, rather than face real people. Self-glorifying because I was spending time getting appreciations and likes and smilies on my messages, posts and achievements, with increasing multitude of narcissism. Experts say that, this activity, of constantly seeking appreciation by way of likes and appreciations, secretes a hormone called Dopamine in our body. And can you tell me what other things cause the secretion of dopamine? Any guesses? Well let me tell you and brace yourself. Dopamine is secreted by excess use of drugs, alcohol and cigarette. “Oh my God,” I said to myself yesterday, “I have become a drunkard! A drug addict! A smoker! What have I done,” I said, as I watched this amazing you-tube video by Simon Sinek on 'Millennials in the Workspace' a must watch, take my word for it! 

So I began noticing my activities from last evening on. Here are some instances, does it sound familiar to you:

-         I look up at the house, say, "why is it dirty," go back to reading messages on Whatsapp. Can’t focus on Whatsapp either, I open the Facebook, check the updates, go back to Whatsapp.

-         I switch on a you-tube video but have too little inclination to listen intently, so I flip and read Whatsapp messages in-between.

-         I wake up in the morning and after brushing and before I fix tiffin for my daughter, I peek into the Whatsapp. After I get her ready, I drop her and while coming home, I catch up on Whatsapp.

-         I sit down for 30 minutes, just to catch up on Whatsapp in the morning.

-         I look for something in the house, I become impatient, but no worries, Whatsapp brings me back to inaction in no time.

Like the sloth, I lounge on one corner of the house, me and Whatsapp! The dopamine has got me and messed with me long enough, I vow today! I now need a plan to check Whatsapp without disruption. “I am no drug addict material, dopamine will not run my life” I remind myself as I clean my home today!

Some ideas to improve the phone usage habbit:

Simon Sinek suggests- 
- do not carry your phone when spending time with friends and family
- In a meeting never carry the phone. Chat with colleagues when waiting for a meeting to begin to build networks and associations, rather than being distracted by the phone. “It is very rude,” he says, “to have your phone on the table, face up or face down, when in a meeting!”

Some suggestions from me-
- When checking a message on phone, stick to the task at hand, do not open personal messages during work hours. 
- Overcome the need for checking smilies and likes on your posts. Spend that time in making another smiley-worthy-creation. 

Have your wine, but not too much lest you become a drunkard. Connect on Whatsapp but do watch out.


Whatsapp is irreplaceable, unavoidable and undeletable! It is, trust me. My school friend in Canada, is hosting a radio show in New York city and her friends, all of us, in India, are messaging song requests on Whatsapp, which she plays real-time and even announces the name of the requester. Long live Whatsapp! 

No comments:

Post a Comment