Translate

Tuesday 14 June 2016

Dear Child Psychology Buster, Did You Ever Meet My Daughter?

Those child psychology tips online can sometimes lead you to misunderstand your kids’ psychological capacity. Some may work on older kids, like when they are thirty, not certainly on my bundle of joy, who is just seven (pun is intended). One such advice that I took very seriously was, 'how to make your kid do what you want her to...' like brush teeth, bathe, eat, play and sleep, in time.... Did I hear you all laugh at me? The LOL is loud and clear! So you know all about it... I seem to have just called out the elephant in the room. I can imagine some moms, with sore throat from calling out their kid all day, becoming really interested in this post... Oh I will hide nothing, this blog is just for you.

I read this about a month back, that if you want your seven year old to do what you think she should be doing... while she firmly thinks that dressing and undressing Barbie, making paper boats, drawing lines on paper, making art work out of little twigs, reading Geronimo Stilton is what she was born to do, everything else must and should be done by her boring and completely under informed parents, including feeding her after having found her mouth open, whenever she feels like it!... The post said that you should keep repeating the instruction, once every few seconds, mind you calmly and firmly, like a robot. It’s not like you lose your cool once in a while and say hey kiddo enough okay... I have said it a thousand times, now I am hiding your toy, feeding your book to the dog and such mild threats, with gentle rap at her butt etc... On the contrary, you should strictly stick to using words and clear short instructions, no ire and anger please. For example don't keep saying, "Go brush your teeth, change your clothes, brush your hair, clean your room, pack your bag and go to sleep…” every few seconds. Don't say that for God's sake, think about your lung capacity and her unique capability to completely filter out 'Parent voices'

Tell her gently one thing at a time, 'Go brush your teeth'. It is believed that after seven to eight repetition, she will listen and also do what she is asked to do. Hmmm I immediately shared this with my husband, with a victorious smile. I thought I had nailed it, generations of mother can benefit from it. One look at that incredulous smile on his face was enough to tell me, he was doubting it… The combined knowledge of all psychologist community and my mother's instinct. Or maybe he just knew my daughter's inability to empathise with the psychological breakthroughs in a quest to make kids more manageable and therefore more lovable. I put it to test none-the-less, left alone in my quest by my better half, the man who swore to be by my side in good and in bad. How easily water flows over that rickety contract! Just kidding! 

I tried and here is what happened... I told my daughter, 'Chiku go and brush your teeth!' firm and clear, after dinner on a school night, when my BP begins to play up, worrying if she did not have enough sleep she will fall sick etc etc.. Everyone in my house and any eavesdropping neighbour would easily hear what I said. (Please Note: My neighbours are all wonderful people, no one eavesdrops, and this is just on a jocular vein, each one of my neighbours are my pillar of support).

Chiku was busy, something really important had come up. Probably it was the shoe of a Barbie doll, the size of a large mosquito or a flipper of a diver from her Lego set, about the same size or smaller, that was not to be found and had to be found immediately. She did what she does to 'parent voices', she filtered it. I repeated again and again and again, maybe seventeen times or maybe twenty two, much to my husband's amusement. And then the purported miracle did happen. She got up, yelled that she is going and she went to brush her teeth. Very soon she was back at whatever she thought was important and now my next short instruction to her was, please change into night dress. After about six times I realised that, if I was ever sending her to school the next day, some desperate measures were needed...

Jokes apart, yes, it is difficult to make kids understand the value of time, to comply with rules, to finish up their tasks, to clean up their room, to get into bath, to come home from play, to eat all their grains, pulses, vegetables and fruits, if you are not already in a panic anxiety after reading all this, there is more to it. I read this somewhere, 'the choice is yours, whether you want compliant kids or confident ones' looks like, the twain does not meet! 

Dear Readers: This article is just on a jocular vein. It is not intended to question the psychology profession to which I am indebted to the core. Please also read my blogs ‘Our Little Chatterboxes’ and ‘It’s Okay to Cry’  

No comments:

Post a Comment