Translate

Thursday 16 June 2016

Ek Chutki Sindoor.. How it Changes the Life...

My very first impression of marriage was from the Doordarshan Messages against child marriage and early marriage of girls. Marriage was always made to sound as bad as, or even worse than kala pani! And it was always projected as a crime against women, in those messages. It seemed marriage was detrimental to education and self-growth of women. You must marry only after you have finished your studies and worked for a few years, was a clear message. It seemed you can have only one of the two, marriage or happiness. Marriage sounded like an inevitable end to a woman's life. And I wondered if marriage is so bad, why should one even marry.

A similar drama was unfolding in my home, my Mother felt that she had been stunted by her family and kids due to early marriage. Almost every day of my life I have heard her complain how she could not complete her studies and go to work. And to top it, only because of us, she has to slog all day. She had misjudged her life and her stature by many miles. It was a pity to see her suffer as we grew, she was really unhappy.

I concluded that marriage was a dangerous affair. Having children was not far from that. I made weird manifestations of married life. It took a little talk from my brother, who first realised how I felt for marriage, to bring my mind to some kind of a truce with marriage. And I thank him for that from the core of my heart for having done that for me. Because I saw all my dreams coming true only after marriage.

If we leave aside all the ills that society keeps publishing and broadcasting about marriage, it is not a punishment after all. Doordarshan is indeed responsible for bringing up an entire generation of renegade urban girls. Particularly those who did not have parental guidance to help interpret those tragic sounding public messages.

For me, for once, it was like a war. I had to be strong enough before I got into it! Why is marriage made to look like a dangerous weapon aimed against innocent girls? Why are they not made to believe that it is a union of souls, it's about 'Loving, Caring and Sharing', it is about getting a companion for life, it is about finally becoming the master of your own life, it is about having children you can love, it is about making a nest of your own? Why does society make the most beautiful institution, sound like a ghetto for women?

 It is not far from truth for some, think of those heart wrenching torture some women have gone through. Some have survived to tell the story, some were not even allowed to live, burnt alive by the man who swore to protect her all his living life, some became baby making machines, some were beaten mercilessly… And think of women who never will think for themselves! No matter how comfortable a life they live they are just birds in their cages. One look at the plight of these women and I want to declare war against the human psyche, which causes someone to believe they can take woman for granted. I want redemption for every life lost to marriage!

How will the society answer for this? For killing love and making marriage into an assault weapon? What should a mother teach her daughter? To love or to doubt?

I wish I had answers to these questions. But then I learnt that if you, from the core of your heart believe, that the world is good, the world will be good for you. It sounds simplistic, but if destiny can't be controlled, the choice we get is to either go smiling or crying, to meet it every day.

We cannot damn the institution of marriage, it is a support system that has worked for thousands of years. It is a natural choice one makes. Can't help contradicting myself para after para. I am as much as each one of you, looking for answers, because one day, my child will want them for herself...

Dear readers, these are only my perceptions. I am sure some of you have had a more inclusive view about marriage all your lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment