Translate

Saturday 28 September 2019

A date with the Grocery Store


I don't know why they stopped having small provision stores and replaced them with large supermarkets. I couldn't wait to race out of those claustrophobic shops, smelling of rice, oil and cardboard boxes, littered with rat shit and cockroaches. Buying necessities was so damn irksome. I remember, at around age 13, I saw sanitary napkins in the glass desk of a local grocer, displayed within lock and key! I announced aloud, "we should buy that," because I thought sanitary napkins meant paper napkins, I simply ignored the word sanitaryIt would take me another 2 years to find out what they really were. Yes, I am a lucky one in this respect. But that day I was far from lucky, my Mother, of the traditional breed, looked embarrassed and severely upset, She would disown me that day, if that was even remotely possible. All hell broke loose on me. Those were the days when such faux-pas was even possible. These days the supermarkets are air conditioned and arranged like an art gallery or a museum. I walk into these super stores quite frequently and mostly never feel the need to leave the place unless under duress. 

As I walk in, the first thing that greets me are items I can do without.  for example rice, dal and salt will be hidden at the back of the store but candies, chocolates, sweets, cigarettes are kept in the front. I have never known anyone dying for want of these later items. I have heard of many dying of over consumption of some of these. Truth is I don't need them, but the packaging is awesome. They could become an artist’s muse!! Hair colours come next. I would certainly not need that product, I prefer visiting the parlour if I need any hair colouring. But the glowing smiles of models on the packages are really tempting. No harm looking at the packaging, reading the contents etc. even if I don't need the product, purely academic interest. 

Shampoos and Conditioners takes a whole isle. And still more often than not the product I was looking for is absent. Shower gel and soap take up another aisle and I don't have any idea which one is worth its claim. The price tags can be deceptive. Pricing is mostly for the packaging, not necessarily for the quality of product packed / hidden in the packaging. 

By this time I have come near batteries, cigarettes and condoms. Why they appear together, no one knows. Why are there no iPills? I wonder, like any self-respecting feminist would do. And also some pepper mint for the smokers appear right next to the cigarette packs. I repeat to myself for no particular reason, 'cigarette smoking is injurious to health', and even question why do some people smoke? I am so distracted by now, I have forgotten why I came to the store in the first place. Feminism and shunning substance abuse was not on my list till that moment. 

I still have to drag myself to the unglamourous rice and dal aisle, but first I turn towards the snacks isle. And there they are, fried, salted, tasteful, silent killers. Finally I heave a sigh of relief, I can pick at-least a few of these! And I do. Sweets come next, mouth-watering, delicious, loaded with sugar and completely unnecessary. I pick some again. 

I remember the sanitary napkins, I always pick them up with the first few items, because that way it will get hidden under the other things I stack on the cart. Well they are also stacked on half of an aisle. I pick the one I always buy and leave hastily. Being caught when buying this item is a cardinal sin. In fact sanitary napkins are like Christmas presents, we make everyone believe that they are delivered by Santa (the female version maybe) through the non-existent chimney, right into the back side of our personal wardrobes.

At this point I realise that I must have forgotten something. But before I can think what, the buy one get one on the toilet papers catch my attention and I pick two packs, though I must admit, that the house is already stacked up with them, as if we are preparing for a toilet paper famine. Right next to the toilet papers are the fanciest utensils in china and steel and glass, which I don't need. But no harm looking at them, and they are all on sale. I marvel these fine exhibits with awe and despair for some time, only to remember that I forgot to pick the popcorns at the snacks aisle. I return, to notice on my way that the tapioca chips are back, they were not there last week, I pick two packs of that too.

Before I can reach the rice, I cross another aisle of juices and squashes. The green ones look awesome and then there are those purple, amber and red ones. Yes, you guessed it right, besides the flavour, I pick my squash for their colour too! I pick one and then add a bottle of soda too, to give the squash a punch. The freezer is right there, I take in… the cheese and curd and butter and bread spreads and tofu and paneer and khowa and flavoured yogurt and batters, before I pick one pack of idli-dosa batter and a pack of cheese spread and move to the rice and dal.

It takes me just five minutes to pick these essential items. 5Kg rice, 1 kg each of four varieties of dal, 5 kg aata, a kg each of besan, chura and suji. A kg of sugar and a kg of salt, two litres of oil and a dozen of eg
I walk to the house cleaning products aisle and pick some regular stuff, I seem to be done. But there is a vanity section in the store, I rush to it to fill myself in with all the novelties occupying more floor space than the essentials. I don’t need any of those items, lipstick, nail polish, eyeliner, concealer, compact powder, eye shadow, rouge, mousse, serum, gels, face masks etc etc etc

The sausages and ice-creams are kept in the freezer just on my way out, with sliding glass lids. I marvel them, though ever since I became diet conscious I have not been having any of those. But oh the awe of looking at them.

After another half an hour, I am rescued from the store by a phone call from home. Alpha calling Charlie type call. Mamma come back I am alone, scared and I cannot find the TV remote type emergency. I bill and climb into my car like a Viking returning from a successful raid with her spoils. As I am about to drive, I pull out the grocery list. Uh oh I forgot the onions and the drain declogger! But I spent 2 hours and paid a lofty sum at the store!

No comments:

Post a Comment