Translate

Wednesday 25 September 2019

Men Are Going To Mars To Let Us Sleep


Everyone was rolling in laughter as Sarita shared jokes on everyday life. Her friends believed she could be a great stand-up comedian. In her presence, they naturally got caught in a flurry of satire, comedy and slapsticks, that brought out squeals of laughter. Today the girls were talking about sleepless nights. Thanks to their children's final exams, the stress was taking a toll on them. And Sarita was prodding them with her comic responses.

This was the ladies get together that the neighbourhood women indulged in every month. 15 girls in all, got together, to just laugh their way out of their worries, after their children had gone to school. It was largely enhanced by Sarita's jocularity. Everyone looked forward to it. 

Sarita had been silent for some time. People had distributed into small groups and were sharing stories and jokes, the room was filled with murmur of overlapping conversations. Sarita called everyone's attention by chinking her sherbet glass with a spoon in a very toastmaster attitude. She said, “Girls I am proud to share with you this piece of fantastic news. And this time I am serious.” Her friends became serious too. They did not get to see Sarita serious very often, so they fell silent, some in surprise and some in anticipation. She announced, “Girls, I slept 8 hours non-stop last night, as I have done every day of my life since I was a baby." 

Everyone waited for more, but there was nothing more coming. Sarita sat down and started sipping her sherbet. The hostess embarrassed and confused, cheered for Sarita. More like dousing fire than lighting the flame. And then to everyone's surprise, Sarita stood up again and said, "How many of you believed me? No kidding! Did you really!" 

Now the joke was on them, and they began to laugh! First mildly and then louder and louder. 

“But this is no joke,” someone said. And now people began squealing with laughter, eyes watering. “We don't sleep we are actually the zombie association,” someone quipped.

Sarita had more coming. She waited for the laughter to die down, and then she continued, “You know what I saw when I entered my house the other day? My spirit was sleeping on my bed and that is when I realised for the first time, how I manage to do so much every day.” She could hear murmurs of spirit on bed? What spirit?

“And if you want to know what my spirit was doing away from me,” Sarita answered, “do you really need one to go around doing grocery, washing clothes, picking up laundry, driving children to and fro in crazy traffic? I thought I could do with a little less baggage and I let it go home.” Now people caught the joke…

“I was okay with my spirit sleeping without me,” Sarita caught them in the midst of bursting into a laugh, “till it kicked me off from my bed and said don't you have work to do?” Now some women were already laughing aloud, “So I decided to kill my spirit.” Said Sarita solemnly, “But that fellow is a real survivor.” It asked, “You too? Aren’t there enough number of people killing your spirit already?” Sarita said wistfully, “It saw me confused and it fell back to sleep.” The laughter now was a din.  

“And did you know what my maid told me today?” Now Sarita brought the emotional and highly charged subject of maids into her comedy. People silenced. Sarita Continued, she said, “I want a raise!” I asked, “Why?” She said, “You hardly sleep and you make the house dirty when you are up. Compensate me for that extra work.” I asked, “How?” “She showed me my ice-cream bowl, snack wrappers and liberal smattering of crumbs on the floor, my midnight snacks. She also pointed to the broken vase, which fell in my effort to walk around in the dark, so as not to wake someone up. I reasoned, that if I can do without spirit, I can do without light too!” Squeals were drowning Sarita’s voice, so she took a break to have some snack, while others urged her to go on.

“The other day I heard Narendra Modi, our honourable Prime Minister, in a speech,” she continued, “he said, he doesn’t sleep too long.” I looked at my snoring husband and said Lier! Anyway he is the prime minister. He better get less sleep, else who is going to permit surgical strikes if he sleeps. But who am I! No Prime Minister, no celebrity or no tycoon. Why am I up?” Sarita ended with a wide eyed, innocent, questioning gesture. The laughter now getting even more boisterous.

“You know what my husband said the other day?” Sarita was at her next quip. One on her husband was unavoidable. He said, “Buy yourself a lullaby track maybe that will make you sleep. I don't understand why you keep getting up in the night?” I said to him, “No wonder you can’t hear the alarm at 7 in the morning. Have you ever heard the kids? They cry in the night sometimes.” He asked, “really?” so nonchalantly as if it was an epiphany. I took the chance to ask him, does he have a volume shut button in his ear? And he looked at me incredulously, as if I am from Venus and He is from Mars. People were now gasping for breath with laughter, their jaws aching, but there was no stopping Sarita.

“And that is the whole problem, Venus and Mars.” Sarita said alluding to a book which claims that ‘Women are from Venus and Men are from Mars’. “The bloody sun is so hot at Venus, why did they have to get us from Venus?” She paused, “Someone, I think that crack, Elon Musk, is taking all men back to Mars! At this point her audience howled in laughter. “What should we women do?” Sarita kept a straight face as she continued. “We have no one taking us to Venus. The last one who tried was, well nobody! Nobody ever tried going to Venus and that is how it will be.”

“I think there is an international conspiracy by men, we women are not aware of.” Sarita spoke in a whispering tone. “Did you notice how hot the Earth is becoming? Those men kept saying it’s a man’s world and made it hot like Venus! Men can't take it anymore, so they will just leave the planet, so we can save it from further destruction.” The haw-Haw was uncontrollable.

“Have you seen how many men are storing their semen in the freezer?” Sarita said conspiratorially. She had to stop, for laughter to die down.  “We will have no problem when they are gone! I don't know what those guys will do! Maybe take the robot Sophia with them.” Another uproarious laughter took over.

“Anyway. Who cares what they will do. Think of what we will do with the time.” Sarita said in a meaningful tone. “We will finally get to know what this 8 hour sleep is, which they keep talking about.” The women were now, not just squealing with laughter, they were crying with laughter! It was lunch time and the group had had a great time. But they all wondered will they ever get that sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment