Translate

Friday 10 April 2020

Easy Come and Easy Go

"It is was clear as writing on the wall! how did you not notice it!" exploded the trainer. "You spent two full years training for this event and now you have lost it, just because of some devious moron?" Anna had no answer, rather she did not want to answer. The coach would not have been so vehement if he knew why she blew up her chance, she thought. "If ever there was an opportunity, this was it!  Now you have to wait another two years to get into the national team! Why did you blow it up?"

Anna handed him the note she was clutching in her fist. He opened the crumpled piece of paper. 'I know about you and coach!' Said the crumpled paper! "What option did I have?" Anna said, pointing to the paper!

"You could have denied allegations. She was probably playing you. I told you she is deceitful and arrogant." The coach kept yelling, "I can assure you that and she knows nothing about us. How can she probably? Unless you told her?"

"Why would I tell her about us? I don't even speak with her a single sentence without starting off a fight! She handed this to me because she knew I would not talk to her! And what about you? Did you tell her." Asked Anna accusatively.

"Why would I tell her...!" Said the coach, faltering a little, "I don't make casual conversation with my trainees."

"Well you did with me! So what stops you from doing it with others." Interjected Anna.

"I wonder what you have in mind Anna?" Asked the coach exasperated.

Just then the door opened. "Is she taken care of?" Maria walked in, not realising that Anna was still there. "Ahhh.....," she said, Realising her mistake.

"so you guys are in it together!" Anna yelled. "What have you been up to behind my back?" She shouted at the coach.

"I am taking the side of the champion. Maria is in the national team, how can I not b on her side?"

"Why?" Anna asked eventually.

"Because I lost faith in you. You are too predictable. I needed someone with a bit of a cunning." Responded the coach, as if it was a mere training session.

"And you cheated me? What if I turn out to be cunning? I could have you fired. I just have to report that you seduced me."

"Ha, Ha, Ha, don't joke, you can't harm a fly!" interjected Maria. "I knew something was not quite right Anna, I found out about coach and you just by chance." Maria deviously explained. "I also knew that I wanted the coach on my side. So I played you and it worked! All is well that ends well"

"So that is it. It was merely about the team and you never cared for me?" Asked Anna to the coach.

"I did and I would," said the coach, "but you are gullible. I could break you so easily. And did you think it was true love and all that! I was just having fun. Weren't you taking advantage of me too?"

"Oh yes she was! She was sleeping with the coach and taking all his attention, while we other team members were competing for his attention!" Maria said contemptuously. "Admit it, you played all the wrong cards."

"Oh no, I did not come this far to just be dealt a wrong hand, I will not let you get away with it." Cried Anna.

"Sure you will," replied the coach, "you will find that I have reported to the authorities that you tried to seduce me. At this moment they are preparing your expulsion letter."

"And I will take care of the media, if you do not refrain from this mudslinging!" Added Maria.

It was a room full of self serving individuals getting into murky transactions, which they loosely called success. But Anna, Maria and Coach were just the same people, taking advantage of the situation to become successful. Does it matter who won?


No comments:

Post a Comment