Translate

Friday 3 April 2020

The Joker

Face painted white with large red circles on the cheeks, a thick red outline to the mouth. one eye painted with a red circle and the other with black, a long Santa clause hat on the head, the joker looked perfect for the act. "I got black eye'" he said, pointing to the black circle around his eye. "And I painted the wrong eye red!" Crowd giggling at his jokes.

"You know what is a joker without dress sense? ...A stand up comedian." The crowd clapped at this one with loud guffaws. "Truth be told the jokers are out of business. These are days of standup comedians. They and their double meaning jokes. Look at me, I am a joker and even if I don't speak you will laugh at me..." He just stood there looking from side to side, acting serious and the crowd roared with laughter. "You laugh at me because you know I am here to make you laugh and not to make people laugh at your expense." The clapping of the crowd showed that the crowd was in agreement with this funny man.

"Did you know I used to be a stand up comedian, the last guy I made fun of, is still running behind me with a dagger. But now he can't find me. I am safe behind the painted face!" Another applause.

"And I don't need to sound at all intellectual to make you laugh! Whatever I do is funny, look at me," he waved his hand towards the crowd, his frilly red gloves, many sizes bigger than his hand, kids roared with laughter. "Just look at me. Get a standup comedian to stand next to me. Who would make you laugh more?"

Now there was silence and from somewhere behind a thin wiry man came hopping over the feet of spectators and stumbling on the auditorium stairs and up on to the stage. "I am a stand-up comedian." Said the wiry man. "Well you will find it hard to stand, but anyway come stand next to me." Said the Joker. And there they were, a joker in all his trappings and the thin wiry man in a t-shirt and Jeans. The past meeting the present. "Who do you want to laugh at? The crowd was doubling up with laughter."

"Hey joker, called out the wiry man," joining in his act, "what have you against me?"

"I don't. look at me, I am healthy well fed, he said pointing to his fat belly," part of his joker costume, "and you are the one emaciated for food. Here I will offer you my jacket and you will become well fed too." He began taking off the jacket with the potbelly.

"You are fat," said the wiry man.

"Says who? The man who did not eat for years?" Retorted the joker

"No the man whose food you have been eating all these years," said the wiry man.

Now the joker was feeling the pinch. The wiry man was getting the trick and was getting at him.

"Okay man, here I found your long lost brother please hug him. He offered a wire to the man." The wiry man took it and hugged it and began crying, continuing the act. While spectators laughed on.

The crowd's roaring laughter suggested that the situation was getting precarious for the joker.

"You and your brother can take your seats," he announced. "Just make sure not to leave any lose ends on the stage." And he had the crowd back clapping for him. The wiry man was back in his seat. Social distancing is the best way to avoid this catch 22 situation in the future, thought the joker to himself. What a lesson!


No comments:

Post a Comment