Translate

Tuesday 7 April 2020

The Unseen

There is a part of the world that remains unseen. Never seen, but they are not unperceived just because they are unseen. Think about it, if you can perceive it and not see it, what would it be? A ghost? Or just a mystery! What is the point in naming the unnamed or unseen?

My antique watch reminds me of one such unseen, the memory of my long gone ancestors. They were gone and mostly forgotten, besides for me and my nearest relatives. They would disappear even from the family memories after a few generations. The problem was that the watch ticked on its own whenever it felt like. And the other problem was that, I could not keep it away from me. If I left it anywhere it just found its way back to me.

For example, I lost it at the pond the other day. And guess what, a corpse surfaced from the pond the next day and on top of it was my watch. The police gave me a hard time, they said circumstantial evidence. I said it is the watch, it keeps coming back to me, no matter what. The police said, they have never heard such a lame excuse. Anyway, lucky for me the corpse was also holding a fistful of hair and it was established they were not mine. The owner of those ugly hair was found with a bald spot on his head and was hanged.

Then there was this train going on the railway track and I got just the idea. I left the watch on the track. And guess what! A dog came running from nowhere, picked the watch and brought it right back to me. And then it wanted a reward for that! I would tie it along with the watch to the railway line but I let go, because I knew it was not the dog's fault. I only tied the dog to the railway track, as a punishment.

Then there was this incident where I dumped my watch in the boiling cauldron of dal, being prepared for a party of 2000. I was sure that by the time it was found, it would be crushed out of recognition. The first cook to put his ladle in the dal, within seconds of me dropping it, fished out the watch intact in his ladle. This time I couldn't do anything. The cook had the advantage over me, I just dropped a stone so hard in the cauldron that the cook was seriously scalded and taken to hospital.

I tried mixer grinder, flour mill, sewage... and that sewage story is really something. I dumped the watch in the sewage only to be awakened by the police, late in the night. They were holding my watch. They said that there was a blockage in someone's outlet and that they found the watch and realised I might have lost it. I took it and said nothing. Just asked them whose sewage pipe it was. I burned the entire house later.

The watch was making me do all this. I did nothing on my own. The watch asked me to do it. It would tick just slightly and tell me who the next victim was. And trust me, I tried really hard not to listen to it. I even threw it away so many times, but someone finds it every time and brings it back to me.

If you ever find my watch, try not to bring it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment